CLASS OF 2004
Just in case you weren't feeling too old the start of this new
year, this will certainly change things. Each year the staff at
Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give
the Faculty a sense of the mindset of this year's incoming
freshman. Here is last year's list:
(1) The people who are starting college this fall across the
nation were born in 1982.
(2) They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan Era and
probably did not know he had ever been shot.
(3) They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
Black Monday, 1987 is as significant to them as the Great
(4) There has been only one Pope.
(5) They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not
remember the Cold War.
(6) They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
(7) Tianamen Square means nothing to them.
(8) Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums.
(9) The expression "You sound like a broken record" means nothing
to them. They have never owned a record player.
(10) They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of
(11) They may have never heard of an 8 track.
(12) The Compact Disc was introduced when they were 1 year old.
(13) As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 33 cents.
(14) They have always had an answering machine.
(15) Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, nor have
they seen a black and white TV.
(16) They have always had cable.
(17) There have always been VCRs, but they have no idea what BETA
(18) They cannot fathom not having a remote control.
(19) They don't know what a cloth baby diaper is, or know about
the "Help me, I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial.
Feeling old Yet? There's more:
(20) They were born the year that Walkman were introduced by Sony.
(21) Roller skating has always meant inline for them.
(22) Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show.
(23) They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
(24) Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave.
(25) They have never seen Larry Bird play.
(26) They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
(27) The Vietnam War is as ancient history to them as W.W.I,
W.W.II and the Civil War.
(28) They have no idea that Americans were ever held hostage in
(29) They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are.
(30) They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
(31) They never heard: "Where's the beef?" or "de plane, de
(32) They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.
(33) The Titanic was found? They thought we always knew.
(34) There has always been e-mail.
(35) Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not
(36) McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers.
thought that this class was this way, what about now, The Class